Observation is the active acquisition of information from a primary source.
What is Scientific Method?
The scientific method is the process of turning a guess (regarding an observation)… into a tested theory about this physical world.
- Form a question about an observation.
- Form an educated guess which may answer that question.
- Form a prediction of a result of that guess being observed (before testing).
- Test that prediction through a simulation/experiment or observational/field study.
- Analyze the data from the test, and either revise the guess or form a new one and repeat the process.
Final Step – record findings, and share:
- Write a descriptive method of observation and the results or conclusions reached.
- Have peers with experience researching the same phenomenon evaluate the result.
- Share the information gathered for others to build upon.