Joshua approached John the baptizer, and John immediately called him out as the “Chosen One” …the promised Son of David. In that same moment (which John must have dreamed about 100s of times), the path Joshua directed didn’t make any sense to him. John insisted, “I should be washed by you, not the other way around.” God’s way is simple, but it’s hard.
Our race may have begun with Abraham, and been delivered from slavery through Moses, but we weren’t a nation until David. For over 1,000 years David’s eternal heir (“The Chosen One”) was our hope and prayer. Joshua said, “Let this happen, because it is the appropriate way for us to complete all that is right.” As Joshua came out of the water, John saw the Spirit of God looking like a dove -landing on him. Then; a voice from the sky said, “This is my son. I am very pleased with him. Listen to him.”
Joshua walked off into the wild, and he was tempted by The Accuser. After 40 days without food, the first trap was set to exploit Joshua’s physical hunger. Joshua answered, “It is written, ‘You will not only live by eating bread, but by every word that comes out of God’s mouth.” The Accuser then baited him to give God the opportunity to be in the spotlight by providing physical proof. Joshua replied, “Again; it is written, ‘It is not for you to test the Authority, your God.’”
The enemy laid out the fulfillment of every appetite of power this world understands, in exchange for Joshua bowing down to exalt Accusation’s worth. Joshua commanded, “Get behind me Accuser, because it is written, ‘You will worship the Authority your God, and he is the only one you will serve.’” The Accuser left, and looked for a better time to entrap him.
Joshua returned to town.
Andrew and Phillip were standing with John when he pointed out Joshua again. They started following him until he offered, “What are you looking for?” They asked where he was staying and he replied, “Come, and see.” Andrew brought his brother, and Joshua looked at him, and said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah. You will be called ‘The Rock’.”
Includes all Joshua’s words from:
- Matthew 3:1-4:11
- Mark 1:2-13
- Luke 3:1-23, 4:1-13
- John 1:6-8, 15
- “Jesus” is Greek for “Joshua”
- “Christ” is Greek for “Chosen One”. It is true that the actual term is “The Anointed One”, but to anoint means to smear or wipe… which anymore is a bio-hazard. This individual was anointed because that way the method with which designation was communicated – washed with oil. This action signified what King Arthur’s sword pulled out of the stone signified; a choosing of that individual.
- “Baptizing” is a bible/Jewish word for “washing”. It was a type of religious washing which carries no modern equivalent, so “washing” is the most understandable articulation. Still physical baptizing is still an action across most every brand of Christian community, so baptizing was left.
- “Satan” is “The Accuser”
- “Man” historically identified both male gender (as compared to female), and general humankind/mankind. Human is used for clarity sake.
- “coming down on [him]” culturally paraphrased with “landing on [him]”.
- “Lord” is replaced with “Authority”. Our society doesn’t have aristocracy, so Lord is unable to be given context required for definition.
- “disciple” is a “student”
- “well” is replaced with “very”. There is no one I know who uses well in this way. We have multiple replacements for “well” pleased, but “well” isn’t one we use. Very’s the most common, and so it was used first.